Monday, August 28, 2006

diet coke cake

Anatomy of the fabled Diet Coke cake...
IMG_4210-1

First comes the cake mix.
IMG_4135

Then the egg whites.
IMG_4144

Add a can of Diet Coke (or, in our case, Coke Zero).
IMG_4153 IMG_4148

Stir, stir, stir...
IMG_4149

Pour into prepared pans.
IMG_4155

Smooth before baking.
IMG_4166 IMG_4168

Lick the bowl--salmonella be damned!
IMG_4171

While baking, make the frosting with one part Cool Whip and one part pudding mix.
IMG_4172 IMG_4175

Stir with a splash of milk.
IMG_4176

Frost.
IMG_4186 IMG_4187 IMG_4194 IMG_4199

Decorate.
IMG_4206-1

IMG_4207-1 IMG_4208

And eat!
IMG_4212-1

Update: Entered in September's Sugar High Friday and see Slashfood and Lifehacker for another variation!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And was it good? I just noticed the James Beard quotation in your sidebar. Unfortunately I am
"like a tart who looks at her watch"! Hee hee hee.

jd said...

It was good! Very moist. I'm sure you could do this without a box mix, but the convenience factor was part of the fun.

It was a cake chock full o'chemicals.

And, y'know, I'm like that tart, too. :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi there,

Just here from Slash Food, I was the one who turned Nic onto the inspiring "recipe". It must be a record, there are already TWO of you who've made the cupcakes!

Fun!

jd said...

Hi AK!

Entered the Diet Coke Cake in your SHF -- I felt it fit the bill. ;)

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I love the sound of that frosting.